After Existentialism – UK Sartre Society
Tuesday 18th July 2017
Maison Française, Oxford
9.00am – 5.00pm
Keynote Speaker: Prof. Christina Howells (Oxford)
- The Second Sex: from idealism to materialism and back, Katja Čičigoj (Justus-Liebig-University Giessen)
- Mindfulness after Existentialism – Through the Mind’s Eye, Ruth Kitchen (EHESS Paris)
- Seriality and the Crisis of Democracy. Taking Sartre into Democratic Theory, Matthias Lievens (KU Leuven)
- The Body is a Situation: Beauvoir outside the Sex-Gender Distinction, Emma Jane McNicol (Monash)
- The Existential Subject and Freedom in Learning: a Dialogue with Sartre, Miranda Matthews (Goldsmiths, University of London)
- Sartre’s Theory of the Author-Reader Relationship, Marieke Mueller (University of Paris Nanterre)
- The Critique of Presence: Sartre’s Influence on Derrida, Gavin Rae (Universidad Carlos III de Madrid)
- Untenable Positions: Existentialism and the Case against the Unconscious Mind, Ian Scrannage (South Gloucestershire and Stroud College)
- Alain Badiou: A Student of Sartre, Chingshun Sheu (National Taiwan Normal University)
- Authenticity Beyond Existentialism: A Socio-Existential Approach, Kyle Shuttleworth (Queens University Belfast)
- Existentialism and Political Failure: Lessons for Today, Michael Sigrist (George Washington University)
- Sartre’s Conceptions of Agency and Its Value for the Philosophy of History, Sina Talachian (Kings College London)
- Inauthenticity and Violence: The Case of Antisemitism, Dror Yinon (Bar-Ilan University)
Standard registration: £40.
UK Sartre Society members and Sartre Studies International subscribers: £30.
Students and unwaged registrants who are not members or subscribers: £30.
Students and unwaged registrants who are members or subscribers: £20.
Registration deadline: Friday 30th June
Online registration: http://uksartresociety2017.bpt.me
Featured Image Credits: Paris, St-Germain-des-Prés, Café de Flore, September 6, 2007 | © Courtesy of Wally Gobetz.